What does the SIOP Framework look like?
Sheltered Instructional Observation Protocol
|SIOP helps teachers connect students, language & content|
SIOP is a great way to set your students (and yourself) up for success.
The SIOP Framework
|The 8 SIOP Components|
The 8 SIOP Components
2. Building Background
3. Comprehensible Input
6. Practice & Application
7. Lesson Delivery
8. Review & Evaluation
Even without knowing exactly what each component contains, educators will find each term tends to resonate with them. For example, more than likely all teachers…
- Go through some process to prepare for our lessons. (Lesson Preparation)
- Pre-teach key vocabulary terms at the start of a lesson. (Building Background)
- Consider how to make things more comprehensible. (Comprehensible Input)
- Give students a chance to practice and apply their learning. (Practice & Application)
- Do some sort of review and evaluation of students’ progress (Review & Evaluation)
Connecting SIOP Components & Their Features
23. Support content objectives clearly.
24. Support language objectives clearly.
25. Engage students approximately 90-100% of the time.
26. Pace the lesson appropriately to the students’ ability level.
This is a helpful reminder that every step in our lesson must l.ad students towards attaining the lesson's language and content objectives.
Together, all 4 features of Lesson Delivery remind us of the following:
- Every step in our lesson needs to lead students towards both the content & language objectives: no room for anything that doesn’t push us forward.
- We need to make sure we are engaging our learners at every step in order to instigate learning: no more mimicking Charlie Brown’s teacher.
- The pace of the lesson should be responsive to the needs of the students: no more having the teacher keep the lesson’s time:the students’ job.
SIOP Promotes Positive Teaching Practices
TESOL Trainers Provides SIOP Professional Development
TESOL Trainers is the leader in experiential, K-12 professional development.
TESOL Trainers works with educational institutions throughout the USA and abroad.
Listen to what educators say about TESOL TrainersTESOL Trainers, Inc. provides K-12 Professional Development worldwide. We are your scaffold to success™!
More Information from TESOL Trainers
- K-12 Professional Development with TESOL Trainers
- TESOL Strategies for Content Area Teachers
- Professional Development on Academic Vocabulary
- The Gradual Release of Responsibility
- Peer Coaching - Transforming Teaching and Learning
- SIOP Institute with John Kongsvik